master process handling patch

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Wed Jul 21 18:58:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> This isn't entirely true.  This patch, which I mentioned previously,
> looks like it could lead to header corruption in the saved header
> stored in ibuf:

I don't think so.  Look at it very carefully.  Still, it was clearly useless
so it was reverted quite recently (as in the last 48H).

The one patch that I am _really_ not that sure about is the one about using
SIGALRM to break locks.  Might disable that one before uploading to
unstable.  THAT one certainly needs some upstream eyes.

> This is kind of an insane situation that there are bug fix patches
> hanging around that have been in the debian source package since
> 2.3.8 which haven't been pushed upstream.  As a result, I don't

Some of those patches have been in Debian without being pushed upstream
since 2002.  Granted, those were in Cyrus 2.1.  They were forward-ported to
2.2, and then to 2.3.

It is all going to the upstream BTS soon.

> trust any of the patches until I've checked them myself.  And since
> I don't understand what patches 12,13 are doing, I'm hoping you'll
> have time to go over them soon.

Patches 12 and 13 have been cleaned up (13 was broken up into separate
patches as well), and documented.  Now I am going to try fixing the !@#$
master state machine for good, it is subtly broken, and it has been subtly
broken for a *LONG* time.  Needs a rather pathological load to cause any
issues, though.

You should get very worried if you start getting any sort of complains about
unregistered children.  Master will need a restart if it deals with too many
of them.

> Meanwhile, I'm going over the patches the redhat people added to
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.16-5.src  (actually, first comparing the differences
> between this newer version and cyrus-imapd-2.3.16-3.fc13.src) to see
> if there's anything there that needs to be migrated to the debian
> package.

And upstream :-)

> I haven't done any C programming in a loooong time, so part of the
> delay on my part was getting back up to speed in C.  Now that that's
> done, I hope to be through this in a few days (modulo being out of
> town all next week).

Thanks for doing this!

  Henrique Holschuh