HEAD and branch swap?

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 6 19:09:14 EST 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 6:50 PM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 05:46:04PM -0500, Matt Selsky wrote:

>>> I'd also like to move to git for Cyrus development.
>>>
>>> :wes
>>
>> Me too.  What prevents us from moving to Git?
>
> CMU infrastructure.  Permissions control (i.e. working out who
> made what changes).  A clean initial import (the one I've got at
> FastMail is OK, but it's missing some tags in the history)
>
> Bron.

Jeff, Ken and I have been discussing this recently.  The way we
currently have things (the cvs repository, the wiki, the website and
bugzilla) set up makes it inherently difficult for us to allow
external contributors to work on the Cyrus project.  At the very
least, it requires the creation of a CMU account which is becoming
more difficult to do for us.

We thought about setting up a dedicated Cyrus development host that is
completely separate from our normal infrastructure.  On this host we
would run a git/cvs repository, the wiki, bugzilla and the website.
We would just create local accounts on the host to allow for external
contributors.

This frees us from needing to provide a full CMU account for folks,
and it also frees us from the machine maintenance software we run in
our environment that makes it difficult to do things like throw up a
git installation.

I was planning to post about this on either cyrus-devel or cyrus-
project soon, but since it came up anyway I just responded now.

Finally, I typed this on my phone, so please excuse any strange
spelling auto-corrections, etc.

Thanks,

Dave