version control

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 29 21:29:32 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:49:24PM -0500, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2009, at 11:46, Farzad FARID wrote:
>> I, too, second the use of a modern VCS for Cyrus Imap whether it's a
>> distributed one or not. But let's not forget that the available web
>> interfaces count a lot for the ease of use and popularity of the VCSs.
>
> I see no up side to moving from CVS to SVN.  The only thing I don't like
> about CVS is that I have to contact a central hub to do most of what I
> use CVS for, e.g., diff.  Assuming Cyrus moves away from CVS, it should
> move to something distributed, e.g., git.  I agree that a functional web
> interface is a requirement.

The only saving grace of svn is that git-svn is so good :)  That and
it's already on andrew machines.  Not a big point in its favour.

Yes, github rocks.  I suspect CMU probably wants to host the canonical
repository themselves though!

I'll have a look at redmine.  I've heard of it, but not looked closely.
Needs ruby:

-bash-3.00$ ruby --version

Well, Andrew has a not too insanely old ruby :)  It's something else for
the sysadmins to understand and maintain of course.

Bron ( though the nice thing with git is that every repository is equal,
       so your work is automatically backed up in the preferred format
       everywhere )