Another day, another cyrus bug :(

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 6 17:46:43 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 05:12:13PM -0500, Wesley Craig wrote:
> This fix looks fine to me.  Will you commit it?

When I get access ;)  I'm just waiting on my password now.

I've changed over to using git for all my cyrus work.
rebase --interactive and friends are just so nice to work with
even compared to quilt.  No more patch refreshing to remove fuzz.

So my work is in the "fastmail" branch on:
git://github.com/brong/cyrus-imapd.git

(and git://github.com/brong/cyrus-sieve.git as well, bah)

You can view all the patches and changelogs quite nicely on github.
I'm moving pretty much all my open source stuff in to there.  The best
thing with git is that every "clone" of the repository has the full
change history with it, so even if github disappeared tomorrow, I
wouldn't lose anything of value.  I'd just find a new git hosting site
(or set up my own) and do something like:

git remote newsite git at newsite.com:/brong/$REPOS.git
git push --mirror newsite

And I'd be back up and running, sharing my work :)

>> The better fix would be a less insanely dangerous API with
>> action-at-a-distance on existing copies of the string.  C gives you
>> enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot (excuse my metaphores), we
>> don't need to help it out!
>
> I agree.  Kind of looks like a case of premature optimization: the
> author was worried about findall cases where mylookup was going to be
> called 1M times or so.  In the absence of a note about how this kind of
> memory optimization is necessary for some case, on some platform, or
> something, I'd be OK seeing the API simplified.

Cool.  I'll have a look around and see where it's used and what changes
would need to be made.

Building in my Ubuntu Intrepid desktop machine here, I get a pile of
warnings as well:

master.c:1814: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with
attribute warn_unused_result
master.c:1828: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with
attribute warn_unused_result

I guess gcc has been strictified up a bit.  I'd like to tidy those up
too, since I'm sure when Debian Lenny actually gets released we'll
upgrade our servers, and it will probably have the warnings too.