DELAYED DELETE and very long mailboxes => segfault

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 6 17:17:25 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:27:48PM -0500, Brian Awood wrote:
> We have had users that weren't able to delete a mailbox that was close
> to, or already at, the max name length.  Cyrus generates the new name
> with the DELETED prefix and time stamp suffix, which ends up being
> longer than the allowed max and the rename then fails.
>
> No idea where 490 came from, but it seems like most imap clients don't
> even correctly display a mailbox name that long.  Also, the mailboxes
> we've seen like this look like they occurred by accident, whether
> because of user error or software bug, the user then can't delete the
> mailbox themselves.

Well, an alternative is to shorten the allowed name and leave
MAX_MAILBOX_NAME as it is :)  There are only a couple of places
where mailbox name lengths are checked explicitly, and we can
change those easily enough.

Anyone have an opinon on a good length limit?

( yes, ours have all been INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.....INBOX.Foo )