+1

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 3 21:50:23 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:27:28PM -0500, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 02 Feb 2009, at 01:32, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>> It does change the regex syntax in sieve, and is probably non-
>> standardly evil! )
>
> Oh?  As I (minimally) understand sieve and it's extensions, the regex
> syntax is thoroughly specified.  Deviating from those standards is
> probably a problem.

Yeah, probably.

    Implementations MUST support extended regular expressions (EREs) as
    defined by [POSIX.2].  Any regular expression not defined by
    [POSIX.2], including [POSIX.2] basic regular expressions, word
    boundaries and backreferences are not supported by this extension.

Ken wrote the spec :)  Guess we should harass him if we want the
canonical interpretation.  Still, our users seem happy enough with
the PCRE setup we have, even if it's not entirely to spec.

> Also, perhaps if no length-oriented regex interface is available, the
> body extension should be disabled.  I can easily imagine body searches
> causing a denial of service, otherwise.

Yeah well, if and when it becomes a problem I'd consider it.  Besides,
Linux and all the BSDs support a length-oriented interface.  Solaris
doesn't seem to out of the box, but then I don't know my way around
it well enough to be sure.

There's a bunch of other libraries to choose from anyway, RX, TRE,
something will do the trick.

Bron ( I assume you can shoehorn glibc onto Solaris if you want too )