More special chars in mailbox names

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Tue Sep 30 20:57:51 EDT 2008

On 30 Sep 2008, at 20:00, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Wesley Craig wrote:
>> UMich has added this list:
>>     #$%'()*;<>?[]^`{|}
>> for years without any reported issues.  These were added primarily
>> to deal with transition from UWIMAP to Cyrus, I'm not making a
>> case for any of them, personally.
>
> Unless I'm misreading the RFC 3501 grammar, the following are
> prohibited:
>
> ( ) { % * " \ ]

Not that I'm not advocating a change similar to UMich's (I'm totally
not).

What aspect of RFC3501 do you feel prohibits ( ) { % * " \ ] ?
Anything that takes a mailbox can accept:

	mailbox         = "INBOX" / astring
	astring         = 1*ASTRING-CHAR / string
	string          = quoted / literal
	literal         = "{" number "}" CRLF *CHAR8
	CHAR8           = %x01-ff

I think UM's 1,000,000 rather yucky mailboxes offer some insight into
how much latitude the protocol allows.  I'm pretty sure cyrus
internals are more limiting that the protocol itself, e.g., I think
the protocol would allow TAB in mailbox names.

:wes