R: More Skiplist Stuff!

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 06:37:14 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Toschi Pietro wrote:

> I'm afraid to bother on the devel list since I'm not a developer, but
> I've got some confusion about what patches should I apply to a fresh
> 2.3.11 cyrus-imapd tarball in order to have a not-broken skiplist
> mailboxes.db (and possibly all the remaining backends too) and avoid
> those problematic DB ERRORS and reconstruct? Would you be so kind and
> please summarize and put some light about the correct patching-path that
> we (simply humans) should follow (possibly before your escape to the
> Tasmanian bushes, Bron :-))

I think that you only really need to worry if you are running Fastmail's
folder_limit patch. The following two cleanups have been merged upstream:

     cyrus-skiplist-safelock-2.3.11.diff
     cyrus-skiplist-state-2.3.11.diff

and should apply either way around.

But this was really just Bron hunting down the root cause of the problem:
the fact that the folder_limit patch was accidently blowing away the write
lock on the mailboxes.db skiplist database. This is what the third patch:

   cyrus-skiplist-transactions-2.3.10.diff

works around, by reusing the existing transaction and write lock if a
mboxlist_count_inferiors() occurs in the middle of a transaction.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.