Code question about mycanonifyid() in lib/auth_unix.c

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Wed Aug 20 03:42:38 EDT 2008

Hello Ken,

I've noticed a little piece of code and wanted to ask about the original idea
behind it. In mycanconifyid() is a special code path if the identifier begins
with "group:". If so, we call getgrnam() and then copy the resulting group
name into the buffer.

I'm wondering why the code does this?
F.e. could getgrnam() return a group alias name when querying an LDAP server?

Either the group name can change (so we need to check the buffer as in the
attached cyrus-imapd-protect-buffer.patch) or it will never change and we can
drop the strcpy() like in the cyrus-imapd-remove-unused-strcpy.patch.

Cheers,
Thomas