cyrus.expunge/cyrus.cache mistmatch on replica

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 03:53:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> Any reason to actually keep them though?  It's not as if unexpunge is
> common enough to be worth optimising, and they're all auto-generated
> content that we can recreate from the message if needed.

My original motivation was user access to expunged messages and deleted
mailboxes. But Cyrus 2.3, doesn't do this, so you are quite correct.

Not having to rewrite the entire cyrus.cache file on every expunge is a
fairly substantial performance boost. We can keep this benefit by leaving
unreferenced junk in the cache file and then garbage collecting (rewrite
on expunge and/or cyr_expire) when the file reaches some threshold.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.