Large Mailbox Append Fix

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 05:56:59 EDT 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> Actually, I'm not 100% sure that it's the only way to do things, but it
> was not particularly invasive and a small extra amount of CPU time and
> memory copying in exchange for a large saving on replica IO has made our
> servers a lot happier about users with big mailboxes being moved!

Definitely an improvement over the repeatupload stuff. It would make sense
for upload_messages_from() to also use index_list_work(), although the
chance of a monster UPLOAD from a normal append is much lower.

I would prefer sync_index_list_free() to be called in the parent routine
upload_messages_list() rather than as a side effect to index_list_work(),
but that is probably just personal style.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.