...and a question (SHA1 UUIDs)

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 5 17:02:00 EDT 2007

David Carter wrote:
> All from:
>
>   http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/patches/2.3.8/
>
> sha1_uuid_replace.patch
> -----------------------
>
> Throw away the existing UUID apparatus (in particular the environment
> value CYRUS_UUID_PREFIX used to pass state from master to imapd and
> lmtpd). Replace it with simple 20 byte UUIDs which are the message SHA1.
>
> Any existing UUIDs are reset to NIL. I suppose that it would be possible
> to pad the existing 12 byte UUIDs to 20 bytes: the chance of a collision
> is remote.

I'm beginning to sift through this patch in an effort to implement what
we had discussed privately.  Some initial questions:

- Do we still need the "uuid_mode" option in imap.conf?

- Can I assume that any mention of "provide_uuid" in the documentation
can be removed?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer