Cyrus 2.3.10 RC2

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 11 05:15:06 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 06:26:43PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> I just put together a second release candidate for Cyrus 2.3.10 which
> hopefully fixes a couple of build issues with RC1.  I'd
> appreciate any independent testing before I release this to the masses.
>
> If there are any outstanding issues that you believe still need to be
> addressed in 2.3.10, please let me know.
>
> http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~murch/cyrus-imapd-2.3.10rc2.tar.gz

Initial rebuild and apply of our patches is promising.  After changing
from uuidmode: md5 to guid_mode: sha1 anyway!

The IO hit of running a 'reconstruct -g' annoys me somewhat - having to
rebuild the entire index file when all you want to do is zero the UUIDs.

I suspect I might write a "fast_zero_guids" tool, the effort involved
will pay for itself pretty quickly!  I might even do a "fast_sha1_guids"
tool, but that's a bit less useful since it still takes the IO hit.  The
only real advantage is being able to pre-calculate the sha1s and then
lock the mailbox just long enough to stream the index file.

I'll get back to you on these ideas!  Got a choir reheasal now.

Bron.

P.S. http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/ is our patches against 2.3.10 now.
I haven't ported mismatcheduuids forwards yet, but that's the only thing
missing.  Everything else that's gone away is gone because it's already
upstream or obsolete now becase of other changes :)