RFC: DIGEST=SHA1

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 26 22:43:54 EST 2007

So...

If I was to want to write up an RFC for exposing the SHA1
of the message via IMAP, who would I start talking to?

I've re-written our GUID patch to actually create a
CAPABILITY extention "DIGEST=SHA1", with the underlying
concept being the ability to change the digest at some
later time just by advertising the name of the used
digest in the CAPABILITY response.

Why do I care?  I'm working on writing an intelligent
IMAP proxy that provides disconnected access to a
remote IMAP server while not needing disconnected
support in the local client.  One thing that currently
sucks is that things like renames and copies cause the
message to be downloaded again even though there's
already a local copy of those bytes.  If I could
do:

$mbx->fetch("1:*", "(flags uid internaldate digest.sha1)")

Then I only need to fetch rfc822.peek for the messages
which I don't already have the body of.

I'd like to push it as a standard and write patches for a
couple of the other popular IMAP servers out there so it
stands a chance of being widely usable.

I suspect the LEMONADE people might also get some use out
of it, but I'm not entirely sure how to contact them.

Bron.

http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/patches/cyrus-digest-sha1-2.3.11.diff