Cyrus 2.3 code moved to CVS trunk

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Thu Nov 30 13:12:23 EST 2006

At Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:43:13 -0500,
Ken Murchison wrote:

> I just moved the Cyrus 2.3 code to the trunk of CVS and created a
> cyrus-imapd-2_2-tail branch to be used for bug fixes to the 2.2 code.

ACK!  I really hate that upside-down branching scheme you guys use.

Every time you do that you completely mess up my local patches as I've
done them to a working directory checked out from the trunk of course.

I suppose I can make a copy of it and try moving it onto your new branch
and hopefully that won't futz anything in my local copy.

It's really too bad you didn't start with ongoing development on the
trunk and make branches for releases and their management, like most of
the rest of the CVS users out there.  :-)  That way you wouldn't mess up
almost everyone's "stable" working directory every time you make a
release.  People who want current code could just check out the trunk
and stay on the bleeding edge forever while people who want stable code
would check out the release branch and only get maintenance fixes with
their updates.

Actually it's probably not too late to switch (and when creating a
release might be the ideal time), though something like that needs a bit
of pre-warning and lots of documentation.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>