cyrusdb error / skiplist recovery errors with corrupted username.seen file.

John Hennessy john at hennessy.net.au
Thu May 25 08:42:48 EDT 2006

Hi, I'm looking for best practice advice for recovering from a corrupted
username.seen file. All was well until the server lost power a couple
times back-to-back with 2 or three clients where connected to the same
mailbox. The problems reveals itself as an InBox that does not retain
its memory of Read mail items. I'm seeing the following couple of lines
repeated 5 times in my logs for each access of the InBox.

May 25 20:02:07 server1 imap[1780]: [ID 729713 local6.error] DBERROR:
opening /var/imap/user/j/john.seen: cyrusdb error
May 25 20:02:07 server1 imap[1779]: [ID 369663 local6.error] DBERROR:
skiplist recovery /var/imap/user/j/john.seen: ADD at 560C exists

Operating System: Solaris 10 (Zone)
Cyrus IMAP Version: cyrus-imapd-2.2.13
Cyrus SASL: cyrus-sasl-2.1.21
Mail Server: Sendmail 8.13.6+Sun/8.13.6 (using cyrusv2 for local delivery)
Mail Client:  Thunderbird version 1.0.2 (20050317) - Linux
Mail Client: SquirrelMail 1.4.6 Web Client

I've attempted a "reconstruct -r user.john" with no improvement. Moving
the username.seen file to a different name effectively forcing the
username.seen file to be recreated fixes the problem albeit without
knowledge of what's been previously read.

For those using SquirrelMail the problem reveals itself there as an
InBox that can not be reopened once you select another mail folder. This
was fixed by the above action of moving the corrupted username.seen file
to another name.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John.