annotations.db corruption

Sergio Devojno Bruder bruder at haxent.com.br
Mon May 8 14:33:11 EDT 2006

Ken Murchison wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>>> Thanks, we are looking forward to it.
>>
>> Ken,
>> were there any ideas from the person you have asked?
>
> No.  I assume he's busy at Google.

We already saw this 'dying process corrupting skiplist db' a lot, you
reproduce it with a really big db (>5-7M mailboxes) with little memory
(<= 1GB) in a linux box easily, some mmap operations will fail ENOMEM
and the process will give up with a resulting broken db.

NOTE: mmap will fail with ENOMEM in linux with free memory and lots of
swap free.

We already saw another type of problem with SMP (2 x Xeon with HT, 4
'processors' for linux) (Cyrus 2.2.10), resulted in corruption too (and
all problems with sincronization between frontends, mupdate and
backends). We "solved" it running a UP kernel on that same box, mupdate
doesnt need all that cpu power. IE: There is a race there.

--
Sergio Bruder