Superior hierarchical mailbox creation....

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 28 08:46:58 EST 2006

nikhil BS wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are developing a client for IMAP server.
> I tried to create mailbox of the form x.y.z where '.' is the heirarchy
> separator.
> According to the RFC,
>
> --
> If the server's hierarchy separator character appears elsewhere in
>       the name, the server SHOULD create any superior hierarchical names
>       that are needed for the CREATE command to be successfully
>       completed.  In other words, an attempt to create "foo/bar/zap" on
>       a server in which "/" is the hierarchy separator character SHOULD
>       create foo/ and foo/bar/ if they do not already exist
> --
>
> But the mailbox x.y.z was created and not the superior hierarchical
> mailboxes x, x.y weren't.
> This is the output of the LIST command...

The text in RFC 3501 says that the server SHOULD create any superior
*hierarchical names*, which Cyrus does.  It doesn't say that it must
create the hierarchical mailboxes.  I believe that Cyrus is and has been
compliant in this regard.

I've CC'd this to the IMAP protocol list to see if others agree/disagree.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer