IOERRORS -- the saga continues

Perry Smith pedz at easesoftware.net
Tue Feb 7 02:45:31 EST 2006

I have tracked down my problems to a call to sasl_decode in prot_fill.

To recap: I am getting IOERROR: unexpected end of file in my log
file.  It turns out that if the client has Kerberos GSSAI
authentication and the client tries to do an "APPEND" command, it
frequently fails (but not always).  The rest of my Kerberos stuff
appears to be fine.

The APPEND is sent across to the server.  The client can be set up to
do LITERAL+ or not.  The client sends all of the message in either
case.  The server reads all of the packets.  Usually the first
packets go through the sasl_decode and result in valid text.  But
after the first block (4096) or so of data, the remaining data is
lost and sasl_decode reports back that there is only two valid
characters.  No errors are reported back (that I am aware of).

I ended my quest at this point last night and I probably will not
pick it up again.  For now, I can work around the problem by
switching to plain authentication and just set up a VPN before using
mail.

I hope this helps whoever follows in my footsteps...

Perry