imap IOERRORs on Mac OS X Server

Perry Smith pedz at easesoftware.net
Fri Feb 3 15:55:11 EST 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Perry Smith wrote:
>> I posted this to question to info but got no response so I am
>> trying  this list.  Sorry for the duplication.
>> I'm new to this list and new to Cyrus.  I have a problem on a Mac
>> OS  X 10.4.4 Server.  The problem may be due to something that
>> Apple has  added but I've been unable to get help from any of the
>> Apple forums.   It may be that someone on this list can figure out
>> the problem but  more than likely, if someone on this list can
>> give me a debugging  approach, I think that may help a great deal.
>> The problem seems simple: I get IOERROR's unexpected end of file.
>> I  also get SQUAT failed to open index file (and just SQUAT failed).
>
> The SQUAT messages are most likely debug messages which can be
> eliminated by changing syslog.conf.
>
> What version of Cyrus?

Apple's opensource.apple.com site has a tarball named
"CyrusIMAP-156.9".  I don't see a version in the syslog output.  The
CyrusIMAP-156.9 has a version file and CYRUS_VERSION is set to v2.2.12.

The command: strings -a imapd | egrep '^v2\.'

gives me:

v2.2.12-OS X 10.4.0

> What filesystem is being used?

The file system is Apple's "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

> What user settings in particular?

I'm not sure how to answer this.  Do you want me to post /etc/
cyrus.conf?

admins: cyrusimap
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
unixhierarchysep: yes
altnamespace: yes
servername: easeserver.easesoftware.net
sievedir: /usr/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
imap_auth_clear: no
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: 1
pop_auth_gssapi: yes
tls_cert_file: /etc/certificates/Default.crt
pop_auth_clear: no
log_rolling_days: 0
log_rolling_days_enabled: false
tls_key_file: /etc/certificates/Default.key
imap_auth_gssapi: yes

I do have logging set pretty debug trying to track this down.  Its
not the error messages so much as the general user interface (from
the client).  When I send mail, it takes a long time to actually get
the mail out.   The smtp log shows that the mail goes out
immediately.  So I am guessing that the extra time involved is when
the client is trying to copy a copy of the message to "Sent" (which
is on the imap server).  Also, the client interface is just slow and
sluggish.  The client and server are on the same machine -- the
machine is not doing much else.  It appears that the client gets
stuck at the same time as the "unexpected end of file" messages.

I see the man page for imapd has a -D option but I don't know how to
turn that on or if it would do me any good.

Thank you,
Perry