KONSEC work on Cyrus IMAPd

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 15 11:15:33 EDT 2006

Martin Konold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KONSEC (www.konsec.com) is working on implementing support for METADATA in
> Cyrus IMAPd.
>
> Most of the work is done by Levin Fritz <levin.fritz at konsec.com> and I am
> supervising the work.
>
> A first step is the development of the LIST-EXTENDED capability.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-list-extensions-17.txt

As I said before, the beginnings of this extension is already in the code.

> The LIST-EXTENDED capability is the prerequisite for the most recent METADATA
> extension as described in
>
>      http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-09.txt
>
> Ken: You mentioned that you want to limit what the client is allowed to store
> in the annotations using something like a white list and ACLs.
>
> What is the basic idea behind this?
>
> Why do you want to limit the client to only allow it to store a limited number
> and types of annotations?
>
> After all the plain folder ACLs already govern the access and provided that
> the space used is accounted for in the quota calculation I am wondering about
> the rational?
>
> Do you want to go beyond/extend draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-09.txt?
>
> What about the implications of run-time parsing an external file?

As an underlying principal, I think it is reasonable for an admin to
have control over what a client can store on the server.

I suppose that if the annotations stored by the client are only used by
the client (config options, etc), then I don't have any objection to
using just the mailboxes ACL.

If however, we're talking about tagging a mailbox so that the server
treats the mailbox differently (calendar data, etc), then I think we
want to tighten up the access.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this topic.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer