alice-teacher Creating executable file in Netbeans using the Alice 3 Plugin

Don Slater don at alice.org
Tue May 8 08:03:28 EDT 2018

Penny,
We do not yet have a pipeline setup to allow you to convert your Alice 3 project into an executable file. We are working on such a tool, but it is not yet ready.

It may be possible to import your project into NetBeans using the NetBeans Plugin for Alice, and then creating an executable .jar from NetBeans, but we have had mixed results with this process.

After converting the project to NetBeans, the Alice project, when you click the Run button, the ApplicationRoot is setup and reads the property "org.alice.ide.rootDirectory”. In there it looks for the platform directory that holds the OS specific libraries like jogl and ffmpeg.

You can set this property in code before ApplicationRoot is used by calling

	System.setProperty("org.alice.ide.rootDirectory", "./“);

This should be the first line in main().

Make sure that second directory holds the platform folder with the required libraries. It is not quite a single file, but it can be run.

If you attempt this, please see the note below about correctly setting up the VM options in NetBeans.

Alice Project