alice-teacher New Alice 2 and Alice 3 Versions

Romero, Chris Chris-Romero at Redwoods.edu
Thu Mar 15 17:20:45 EDT 2018

Hello Eric.

Thanks so much for the continued support of Alice 2.x

When launching the new 2.5.4 version, I am prompted to install DirectPlay. A brief read on DirectPlay from Wikipedia has me concerned about its "deprecated" nature and the network connections it wants to make. Is it needed?

Thanks for your time,
Chris

Chris Romero MSCIT, BSEE
Professor CIS
College of the Redwoods
(707) 476-4366

From: alice-teachers [alice-teachers-bounces+chris-romero=redwoods.edu at lists.andrew.cmu.edu] on behalf of Eric Brown [ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 12:18 PM
To: Alice educators
Subject: alice-teacher New Alice 2 and Alice 3 Versions

Dear All,

I wanted to let everyone know that we have released a new version of both Alice 2 and Alice 3.  Most critically the new Alice 2  version resolves our High Sierra problem allowing Alice 2 to function properly on the news Mac OS.  There are general performance and stability improvements for both version as well as some bug fixes that we think will make a lot of you and your students work a lot easier such as fixing the issue where shape objects were constantly reseting when you ran your program in Alice 3.  Please keep telling us what you need and the problems you are finding so we can continue to make the systems better.  Thank you all again for all of your support and patience.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric Brown
Alice Project
Carnegie Mellon University

Alice 2:

Major Updates

- Mac OS High Sierra Supported - Fixed several issues to allow Alice 2 to work properly on newest OS
- Java Update - transitioned to a newer version of Java and bundled necessary components to not require a separate Java download to run Alice
- JOGL Update - transitioned to a newer version of JOGL for general performance and compatibility improvements

UI Improvements

- Fixed numerous spacing, layout, and display issues throughout the interface

Functional Improvements

- Fixed several procedures to behave as expected
- Fixed several bugs that were causing the system to misrepresent errors
- Associate a3p files and allow double click to open them

Spanish Version Improvements

- Fixed several bugs caused by localization errors including the ability to use the take a picture function

Tutorial Improvements

- Fixed a bug that was preventing people from progressing fully through Tutorial 4

Alice 3:

Improvements

- Better memory management and new Heap Watcher to give users a chance to save their work ( Running Out of Memory)
- Allow playback window to go behind other windows
- Associate a3p files and allow double click to open them
- Update to java 1.8
- Added bell and wind to sound gallery
- Promote keys and direction enums to be used as parameters, variables, and in comparisons

Bug Fixes

- Fix sim constructor problem that made some worlds unreadable
- Fix spacing problems around arithmetic operators in generated Java
- Fix Resource Manager to show all included resources
- Prevent modifications to objects being lost after restarting Alice or when running the program
- Restrict getModelAtMouseLocation to object listener to prevent errors in addMouseClickOnScreenListener
- Correct inconsistencies in Count Loop index between Alice, Java side by side, and NetBeans
- Fix cancel button on Quit then Save dialog that left Alice in a state where the user could neither save nor quit
- Prevent possible deadlock when Alice throws multiple exceptions
- Introduce key release event on lost window focus for correct user interaction
- Update out of date links
- Release sound resource correctly when player closes
- Fix potential crash when exporting with audio
- Removed a number of Red Queen triggers including:
        •       Menu construction for object selection
        •       NullPointerException in JZoomView.paintComponent
        •       Logging details about program nodes
        •       Possible NullPointerException during search

Localization
- Extended localizable parts of the interface to cover most of Alice
- Updated several language resources