alice-teacher Quick Update and Project Request

Eric Brown ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 25 10:00:04 EDT 2017

Dear All,

I wanted to send out a couple quick updates.  Firstly, I want to call everyones attention to a recent post about a regional Alice challenge we are conducting.  This was made in conjunction with a CMU announcement of events related to the 10th Anniversary of the The Last Lecture.  For those of you who are in the our neighborhood we invite you to participate and hope to share more information soon.  Read more about it here:

http://www.alice.org/alice-regional-challenge-announcement/

Secondly, I want to thank everyone for their outreach to help us find workshop leaders for NJ.  It seems we should have no problem trying to fulfill the request to put on workshops in support of their expanding CS in NJ initiatives.  It has given me a lot of hope that we can do more of this in other areas.  Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other opportunities for hosting Alice workshops that we can try to support.

Finally, we have a new group of students continuing our exploration of teaching CS using VR.  Our new group of grad students have asked if we could help them pull from your collective wisdom to help inform the direction of their semesters work.  We would be grateful if you could take a short survey (11 quick questions).  From the team:

'Hello everyone, We are CuriouSer, a team at the Entertainment Technology Center working for Alice to create an app to teach Computer Science in Virtual Reality. We're currently gathering data on what topics are challenging to teach and how they could be made fun, engaging, and easy to understand in VR. We would really appreciate it if you would be willing to fill out a short survey for us. Thank you in advance for your time and we look forward to showing you our first prototype soon!"

https://goo.gl/forms/BnCpwN9JlzqWRQ8v2

Thank you again for everyone who gave input to our group last semester.  If you missed the outcome of their work you can read more about it including links to the open source code for their prototypes here:

http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/wonderland/

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric Brown