alice-teacher Alice 3 and NetBeans project errors

Denise Bolser djbolser at uc.k12.in.us
Tue Feb 21 14:05:41 EST 2017

This is my first semester using the Alice 3 and NetBeans Java programs.  I am using Learning Java through Alice 3 2nd edition (Daly & Wrigley) and began the semester without a hitch.  However, just within the past 2 weeks, we can no longer bring the Alice 3 worlds into NetBeans projects.  We now get an error message in NetBeans of regarding an "unsupported source, binary format (image shown below).  The full screen capture of the NetBeans screen is attached, showing the other projects that have been completed without problems. This error first occurred for us in Chapter 2: Project 2: Alice Character Movement using Arithmetic (trying to move a witch object to a cauldron object, without ending up inside the cauldron).  The error below shows up, asking for us to "resolve it", but the "resolve" button does not fix anything.  The "default package" folder is empty... does not include any of the objects, etc as in earlier projects that worked.  (ie TeaParty in Chapter 1 worked fine... both in Alice 3 and after creating the Java project in NetBeans 8.2)
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D28C4B.9528CA80]

In trying to troubleshoot this issue last week, I went back to the "TeaParty" project from Chapter 1 (which worked just fine earlier), and re-followed the steps   as before for creating a Java Project... but this time, I received the same "project source/binary format is older than minimal supported one (1.6)" error message.  Alice software and NetBeans installations have not changed in the interim, but now something is affecting our ability to make this transition from Alice 3 to NetBeans.

Any ideas?  I've included the "about" information below.  I have also attached the Alice TeaParty file  and the Witch files from Alice. I've also attached the zip folders for the AliceTeaParty (which works) and the WitchBrew(which does not work) in NetBeans.

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 8.2 (Build 201609300101)

Updates: NetBeans IDE is updated to version NetBeans 8.2 Patch 1<http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeans8.2PatchesInfo>

Java: 1.8.0_111; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 25.111-b14

Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_111-b14

System: Windows 7 version 6.1 running on x86; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

User directory: C:\Users\matsnyder\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\8.2

Cache directory: C:\Users\matsnyder\AppData\Local\NetBeans\Cache\8.2

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Denise Bolser

Union County High School

Liberty, IN 47353