alice-teacher Question about move toward

Maria D. Solock MariaRicaRhea.Solock at VBSchools.com
Fri Feb 10 10:43:01 EST 2017

Hello!

To make the chicken turn around the bunny in a circle, check out the code below.
[cid:image001.png at 01D2838A.72732540]

Maria

Maria D. Solock
National Board Certified Teacher
Algebra 2/Trig and Computer Programming
KEMPSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
(757)648-5450
Twitter: @joycejimenez35
www.kempsvillehs.vbschools.com<http://www.kempsvillehs.vbschools.com>

Put Students First – Seek Growth – Be Open to Change – Do Great Work Together – Value Differences

From: alice-teachers [mailto:alice-teachers-bounces+mariaricarhea.solock=vbschools.com at lists.andrew.cmu.edu] On Behalf Of Vanderhyde, James via alice-teachers
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:23 PM
To: Alice educators <alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: alice-teacher Question about move toward

I am using Alice 2.4.3. One of my students today produced unexpected behavior using “move toward.” Consider this code:

 Do together

  chicken turn left 1 revolution

  chicken move amount = 2 meters toward target = bunny

The chicken turns in a circle rather than turning while moving toward the bunny. I know that “move forward” combined with “turn left” will result in circular movement. But I don’t understand why “move toward” is doing it. After all, “move toward” by itself works no matter which way the chicken is facing.

Is this a bug or desired behavior? If desired, can someone explain it to me?

James
—
James Vanderhyde
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Program Director, Master of Applied Computer Science
Saint Xavier University
3700 W. 103rd St.
Chicago, IL 60655
773-298-3454