alice-teacher s Digest, Vol 65, Issue 6

Leonel Morales litomd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:42:50 EST 2016

Nowadays I try to use Alice 3.2 as much as possible mainly because I
think it is the version that will see most new features in the future
(I might be wrong!).

The first betas of Alice 3 were really confusing for me. I was
expecting all the visibility of Alice 2 and the same programming model
but it changed. The current version of Alice 3 is much better than the
betas I think.

I have both versions open now and comparing their user interfaces I
can see where the confusion could have originated:

1. Alice 2 has 3 tabs in the lower left: properties, methods,
functions. Alice 3 has only 2: procedures and functions. Properties
have been assimilated into functions through get and set methods.
Alice 2's tabs map better (I think) to how we understand things: they
have properties, are capable of doing actions (methods) and deliver
something (functions). Alice 3's tabs conform better to a programming
model (object oriented encapsulation) but that is not all that clear
for the lay user.

2. Alice 2 uses a tree-like visual aid to signal the selected object
while Alice 3 uses a drop down list that is less apparent. I have seen
students trying to find a method or function with the wrong object
selected, it has happened to me too.

3. Events handlers in Alice 2 are always visible and clearly
distinguishable from the rest of the code. In Alice 3 events and
"myFirstMethod" seem to have the same hierarchy, both are tabs in the
same pane. I have found students that end up putting the code intended
for the "myFirstMethod" in an event handler, somehow they selected the
wrong tab and didn't notice.

4. The gallery seems simpler and better organized in Alice 2, although
it might be just because I have worked with Alice 2's gallery for more
time. I understand the advantages of the new model format in Alice 3
but I miss some of the functionality implemented in the old objects.

All these points are subjective but I wanted to share them just in
case someone else noticed the same.

Best wishes,

Leonel