alice-teacher Alice Course Materials

Roger Crowe roger.crowe at spart5.net
Tue Jan 19 11:23:16 EST 2016

Margaret,
What a great site!!  You've obviously put in a lot of work on this and your
student examples are awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Don Slater via alice-teachers <
alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Margaret,
> You may reply to me off-line if you prefer. I am curious about the comment
> that Alice 3 “… can confuse students if they plan to take the Computer
> Science AP exam in High School.” I am a consultant for the AP Computer
> Science Exam, and Alice 3 was specifically designed to be used by students
> who would be learning Java in future programming classes, including the AP
> Computer Science course.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Don Slater
>
> Alice Team
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Entertainment Technology Center
> 700 Technology Drive
> Pittsburgh, PA 15219
>
> Email: dslater at cmu.edu
>
> I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances
> confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life
> he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
> --- Henry David Thoreau
>
> The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton
>

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 10:00 AM, Tamara Mazza via alice-teachers <
> alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> I am a Middle School Teacher who only uses Alice 2.  I was instructed that
> using Alice 3, although more fun, can confuse students if they plan to take
> the Computer Science AP exam in High School.
>
> So with that information I only teach Alice 2.   Have Fun!
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Margaret Meijers via alice-teachers <
> alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Carolyn
>>
>> Really the only reason we use Alice 3 instead of 2 is that I first
>> started using Alice around the time Alice 3 appeared with the Sims
>> characters.  My students at the time looked at both Alice 2 and 3, and
>> really wanted to go with Alice 3 because they had a lot more scope for
>> making better looking animations.   I think at the time I also thought that
>> Alice 3 was an upgrade for Alice 2, so that was what we used.
>>
>> So not for any sound educational reasons at all, just what I started
>> with, so have stayed with!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Margaret
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Carolyn Thomas via alice-teachers <
>> alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Margaret - thanks! I just started an all girls class. Curious why you
>>> use Alice 3 instead of Alice 2.
>>>

>>> *Carolyn Thomas, NBCT 7th/8th Grade Science Teacher Wildwood Middle
>>> School 1209 Shenandoah Junction Road Shenandoah Junction, WV 25442
>>> 304-728-4518 <304-728-4518> Classroom
>>> Website: http://boe.jeff.k12.wv.us/thomas
>>> <http://boe.jeff.k12.wv.us/thomas> *

NOTICE:  This email may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
material.  If you have received this e-mail or any of its attachments in
error, it does not constitute permission to examine, copy or distribute the
information.  Prompt notification to the sender, or District Five Schools
of Spartanburg County, of the error would be appreciated.