alice-teacher Which Alice for children of which years

Keith Golebie kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us
Fri Aug 26 11:56:27 EDT 2016

The two different versions of Alice serve two different purposes, and they
really are two different applications.So, the answer really depends on the
purpose of the course. Knowing the history helps with this explanation, and
the answer is a little more complicated, but this is the simple explanation.

If your intent in the course is to be writing code by the end of the
course, (such as Java) then you want to use Alice 3. Alice 3 will let you
see the Java code while you are working.

If your intent is not to write code, such as an introductory course in
programming, a class for non-programmers for folks who may need a CS
course, younger learners, are curious about it, that sort of thing, then
Alice 2 is your best bet.

Knowing the audience also helps the most in determining which is best. .

That being said, in our district, we use Alice 2.x (and other tools) in the
younger grades, grades 3 and up. Other tools are also used before that in
K-2.

In high school, we primarily use Alice 3.x, and depending on the audience,
may use Alice 2.x in an Intro course, then Alice 3 in a subsequent course.

Keith

Mr. Golebie

kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us

Computer Technology Teacher