alice-teacher Alice 3.0, can you reuse objects in different worlds like in 2.X?‏

Michael L Owen mrgrog at outlook.com
Sun Oct 11 15:32:36 EDT 2015

 Hi Susan-

Don already answered the question regarding saving classes to the "my classes" folder in Alice 3.x.x, but adding more than one of the same class into a new world can lead to confusion. When you drag in another copy of the same object, it will complain that you already have copies  of the methods in the original class, and tell you that you can't do that. Just click the "Cancel" button and it will ignore the warnings and create the new class preserving the methods anyway .

This can be quite useful when using things like the Alice3 versions of the Alice2 heBuilder and sheBuilder models. If, for instance, you create a new teenModel, add some methods that don't reference other objects unless passed in as parameters, and then save it to "My Classes".
When you drag in a copy of that Class, it will direct you back to the character builder and allow you to create a new model, and save it with a new name, preserving all the original methods.

The attached program uses two copies of another teenCharacter that I programmed, and saved to "My Classes" folder. Note that I created a separate Arms method, so that I could later add new ones without affecting the walk method.

Have Fun,

Mike Owen