alice-teacher What is the first animation you teach your students?

Leonel Morales litomd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:41:06 EST 2015

Hi!

I have been using Alice for some years now and always start showing
students how to make a character, animal or thing to jump.

Basic jump is only moving up, move forward, and move down, but it
looks unreal. Then we improve it: move up beginning abruptly and
ending softly, do it together with a forward advance, and then do the
same going downwards.

Many more refinements can be done from there: move arms and legs to
make the jump look more natural, convert the jump to a new procedure
so it can be used with different object, use jump height and distance
as parameters, and so on.

Students usually enjoy very much their first tries, if they forget an
step the results can be quite funny, the character can half-jump up,
and then again up, or can jump out of the scene, things like that.

Attached is a basic animation of a jumping owl and a chiken.

What is the first animation you teach your students?

Thanks!

Leonel