alice-teacher Alice 3.1 moving objects

Helene Moore helene.moore at ousd.k12.ca.us
Fri Feb 27 13:04:29 EST 2015

Hi Don,

I'm curious about the difference between Alice 3.1 and 2.4. I teach
elementary school and started my 5th graders on 2.4 in January. Should I be
looking into learning, then teaching 3.1 for next year? I've been told they
are very different programs. I have no programming background, but took Dr.
Cooper's great two-week 2.4 workshop this summer.

Thank you,
Helene

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Don Slater <dslater at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Carol,
> I would first look at updating your video drivers:
> http://alice3.pbworks.com/w/page/54959364/Updating%20Video%20Drivers
>
> and if you are working with PC’s, you might adjust your hardware
> acceleration:
> http://alice3.pbworks.com/w/page/86674945/Adjusting%20Hardware%20Acceleration
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> All the best,
> Don Slater
>
> Alice Team
> Carnegie Mellon University
> 5000 Forbes Avenue
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
>
> Email: don at alice.org
>
> I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances
> confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life
> he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
> --- Henry David Thoreau
>
> The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton
>

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 10:59 AM, mt_cwaddle <CWADDLE at MTRACE.ORG> wrote:
>
> I've taught Alice 2.2 for the past few years (grades 10-12) and now am
> getting ready to start Alice 3.1.  Going through the tutorial videos and
> right away can't get my objects (fish, video 3) to move in any direction
> except rotate with the green handle.  Can't even get the yellow object box
> to show when I click on the object.  Am I doing something wrong or could it
> be a hardware issue?  We've been having lots of those this year.
> Thanks for any input anyone can give me...
>

> *Carol Waddle*Miami Trace High School
> Business Teacher, Scholarship Coordinator
> (740)333-4715

Helene Moore

*Joaquin Miller Elementary*

*Technology Coordinator*

*Oakland Unified School District5525 Ascot DriveOakland, CA 94611*

*510-482-7279 | computer lab phone510-531-6688 | jm phone*
*510-531-6667 | fax*
*helene.moore at ousd.k12.ca.us <helene.moore at ousd.k12.ca.us>*