alice-teacher Alice 3 - Creating your own template or props

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 10 10:32:39 EST 2015

Yes. We do intend to support importing user created models. A fist step to that implementation has been adding the feature that allows the user to export modified Alice classes and import them into other projects. (So that a Walking Mad Hatter built in one project can now be exported, and then added to other projects.)

The issue is that, unlike Alice 2, where object classes are essentially part of a flat hierarchy, in order to support true object oriented programming, the Alice Gallery is hierarchical, and when people create their own objects, they actually have to think in terms of creating a class, and how that class will fit within the overall inheritance hierarchy. Which means we have to specify in much more detail the underlying skeleton of the class, so that imported objects have the same skeleton, or the animations will not work.

And we have not yet finalized the skeletons for some of the objects. For example, we have just recently started to implement the tails of animals as arrays, to create more realistic, and at the same time, simpler to implement animations.

Thank you for your patience.

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Email: don at alice.org

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau

The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton