alice-teacher Teaching class in 4-5 weeks

Keith Golebie kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us
Thu Oct 23 13:49:26 EDT 2014

For the younger grades, elementary and middle school, you should consider using Alice 2.x

For resources for Alice 2.x, start with the Alice.org website, and look under “Teaching” there are some very good resources there, especially check out the Duke University materials, and there are lots of others.

There are plenty of tutorials available on youtube.

Alice 3.x would be better for experienced users, and/or a course where you are going to go beyond introductory topics and begin writing code in a language.

There are resources for Alice 3 on the alice.org website (look under teaching) –

The Alice 3 materials page:  http://www.alice.org/3.1/index.html

And the getting started with Java using Alice: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_TheOracleAcademy/GettingStartedWithJavaUsingAlice

Also, the folks at Oracle have a course in Alice 3 mapped out – Click on the Alice 3 Self Study Guide under teaching on the alice.org site or go here:

https://academy.oracle.com/self-study/alice/index.html

Lots of resources available in other locations as well – there are many video guides on youtube for example.

Additionally, for either program, monitor this email list serve. Lots of folks are sharing resources and ideas, as well as posting questions, regularly. The Alice team, and especially Don Slater, are very good at responding quickly to all questions.

Keith

Mr. Golebie

kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us