alice-teacher Importing / Exporting Objects

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 12 08:31:35 EST 2014

See these two videos on basic importing and exporting of classes in Alice 3.1.92.0.0 and following versions…

This first is a basic overview and explanation of a simple export and import of a class (essentially for a student wanting to export a class from one project for use in another project by the same student.)

	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXhZZMZawis

The second is a a demonstration of how to import a class created by another student into an Alice project by a second student… (in this case the ScoreKeeper and Timer classes)

	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRGg1KP9sE <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRGg1KP9sE>

Please let me know if you have any questions…

> The project file I also sent should have the scorekeeper and timer object in it.
>
> It sounds like you tried to open the scorekeeper and timer as projects. They are class files (.a3c) and have to be imported into a project.
>
> 1. Find the Alice3 directory in your home directory.
> 2. Open the Alice3 directory. Inside it you should see the MyProjects and a MyClasses directories.
> 3. Copy the scorekeeper.a3c and the timer.a3c files into the MyClasses directory.
> 4. Start Alice 3.
> 5. Open the project you wish to use the timer / scorekeeper in, or create a new project.
> 6. Go to the Scene Editor.
> 7. Click on the My Classes tab in the Gallery.
> 8. Hopefully, you should see the scorekeeper and timer, ready to be added to your project.
>
> I will prepare a video tomorrow demonstrating this.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Don Slater

Sent from my iPad