alice-teacher Introspection

Robert Durtschi robert.durtschi at gcsu.edu
Wed May 14 16:02:32 EDT 2014

The term "introspection" as it applies to computer language was new to me.  Most of my non-teaching experience has been in Fortran, Ada, and C++

"Google is your friend" and brought up several websites that discuss it as a Java construct (and several as a philosophy construct as well).  Based on that I'm going to assume that you are referring to Alice 3.x rather than Alice 2.x

http://web.archive.org/web/20090226224821/http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/javabeans/introspection/index.html
and http://java.sys-con.com/node/35980

both indicate that introspection and reflection, which introspection is based on are powerful tools for extracting information from "Java object repository sites".

Just offhand I would say that's too advanced for an introductory programming class and was not even mentioned in the textbook (non-Alice), "Java Illuminated", for the Java class that I taught at GMC last fall

Best
Bob Durtschi

Message: 3