alice-teacher Alice 3 Capstone Project

Thomas White thomaswhite at mvcs.org
Mon Mar 31 13:54:50 EDT 2014

I am pioneering a TouchDevelop programming class this year.  It's an excellent introductory language that works from any browser.  Sharing scripts via private publishing is particularly slick.  The Microsoft textbook is terrible--only use it for yourself, not for your students.  However, the lab manual, TouchDevelop Nuts and Bolts, published by Falafel Software, is excellent for students.  Here's a link
http://www.falafel.com/store/training-guides
I went through the exercises in this textbook in one weekend, and felt that I had a pretty good grasp of the basics.  Microsoft developed this language for Windows phones, and it directly installs on a Windows8 phone.  However, the web-based App works fine on almost anything.  My students usually preferred building their scripts on their iPads, or on the Macs in our computer lab.  The web-based App is free.  Your students only need to create an ID to access it, and it accepts Microsoft, Facebook, Google, or Yahoo IDs.

Sent from my iPad