alice-teacher "Re: Contents of s digest 47 issue 4

Debbie Shintaku dshintaku at hba.net
Wed Jun 4 13:14:40 EDT 2014

Eric:

(Sorry if this is a repeat. I don't think I posted right the first time.)

Here is a paper comparing Alice, Greenfoot and Scratch that might help you
persuade your principal.

https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/pubs/2010/3071/content.pdf

I teach Alice 2.3 to 8th graders and they are mostly making games, not
movies for their projects. Some of their games are very complicated and
they are definitely pushing it to the limit.

I also teach Greenfoot to 10th-12th graders. This might be something you
might look into if you are forced to replace Alice. It has a simple
interface for creating 2D games and simulations, but it is Java code. It's
definitely more difficult than Alice, but starts out very simply.

Debbie