alice-teacher Alice Programming Workshops at Duke in Summer 2014

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 17 07:17:50 EST 2014

From: Susan Rodger <rodger at cs.duke.edu>
To: rodger at cs.duke.edu
Subject: Alice Programming Workshops at Duke in Summer 2014
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:05:23 -0500

There will be two Alice Programming Workshops at Duke University in Summer
2014 for K-12 teachers (best for grades 5-12).

Please pass this information on to others at your school.

Deadline to apply: Feb 6, 2014

 1) There will be a two-week free beginner workshop on Alice (version 2)
    at Duke University on July 7-11 and July 14-18, 2014. This workshop
    teaches you Alice programming, and helps you develop Alice lesson
    plans related to your discipline. The workshop is for K-12 teachers, with
    preference to NC teachers, but we always take a few teachers from
    outside of NC. This workshop is free and includes free lodging
    (sharing a room with one other teacher) and several meals thanks to
    support by the National Science Foundation with additional support by
    IBM.

    More Information and applications are now available here:

         http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/workshop14

 2) There will be a one-week free followup workshop on Alice at Duke on June
    16-20 for teachers who have previously attended the two-week Alice workshop
    at Duke. Preference is for those who attended in 2013. But there is
    likely room for those who attended one of our previous workshops and
    have not been able to attend the followup workshop in the past.

    Information and application on the one-week followup workshop is here:

         http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/workshop14

Alice is a virtual worlds programming environment for novices. With Alice
one can easily create interactive animations of stories or games. We work
with K-12 teachers of all disciplines to teach them how to program in Alice
and how to integrate animations into their discipline. An Alice animation
could be used as a possible project, instead of a poster, power-point
presentation or a model.  For example, a language arts teacher may have
students create an animation of a book report. A science teacher might have
them create an animation to tell the story of how a volcano is formed. A
math teacher might have students animate a word problem. We have several
examples of curriculum materials and lesson plans that other teachers have
created here:

   http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/

In addition to learning about their disciplines, students will be learning
programming, which includes computational thinking and problem solving
skills.

Questions? Contact Kathy Menchaca, menchaca at cs.stanford.edu.

Susan H. Rodger, Professor of the Practice
Computer Science Dept. Box 90129, Duke University, Durham NC 27708-0129
Email: rodger at cs.duke.edu     URL: http://www.cs.duke.edu/~rodger
Phone: (919)-660-6595         Fax: (919)-660-6519

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy