alice-teacher Alice Installation Problems

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 28 15:27:44 EST 2014

Kent,
If you really want to work with Alice 3, you might download the Universal .zip version of Alice 3, available on the Alice 3 download page at www.alice.org. This is a complete, zipped version of the Alice package, not an installer, and so you can unzip the file to a flash drive, and then copy the unzipped directory onto the student machines (it really does not matter where are the machine you put the package.)

Depending on the goals of your course and the experience you want to provide for your students, you may want to consider using Alice 2.4.1, currently available at www.alice.org.

There is confusion about the differences between Alice 2 and Alice 3, and we have not done a very good job of clarifying what the differences are. Unlike traditional software version numbering (where Word 11 is the upgrade to Word 10), Alice 3 is not an upgrade to Alice 2, but a tool that is intended for a different audience than Alice 2.

Alice 2 is a tool designed to introduce students without previous programming experience to fundamental programming concepts.

Alice 3 is a  tool designed to introduce students without previous programming experience to fundamental programming concepts with an emphasis on the transition to Java.

If you are not taking your students into Java, Alice 2 is probably a better choice at this time, as it is more stable than Alice 3, and there is a greater and wider set of support instructional materials.