alice-teacher What's the most effective way to teach Alice?

Ron Guillemette rgilmet123 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 19:31:10 EST 2014

Kelly,

I teach at the high school level at a Career & Tech Center.  This is my
first year using Alice. What I have been doing is to work through the
examples in the book and use some of the online tutorials together.  I then
have them do the same examples on their own.  Finallly they work through
the projects in the book.  In the spirit of the open source nature of Alice
I have those who want to walk through their projects present them to the
class.  We share them out on a shared network drive.

Student do work collaboratively to figure out problems they encounter
during the programming phase of the projects.  Student must include all the
elements of the problem description but are free to enhance the project.  I
have found that student are very proud to share their work.  I make sure as
I walk around and check progress that I tell different kids how great
certain elements or their programming are and ask them to share these with
the class.

I also focus on vocabulary.  I make sure that when we speak we speak and
act professionally.  I want them to act like programmers who constantly
develop and improve their products.

I can's say enough how this has made my classroom more of a community of
learners.  I am having so much fun teaching Alice.

Ron

Mr. Guillemette

Computer Technology and Game Design
The Regional Career & Tech Center @ Coventry High