alice-teacher A2.4.1 While event

Deane Fistick deane.fistick at ecotoh.org
Wed Apr 2 15:52:19 EDT 2014

Hi Don,

This may be the same or related issue that you responded to P. Funk on 2/3/14 about having trouble with the While on his Mac.

I created a Boolean operator exercise for my students with Alice 2.3. One option is for them to use a WHILE event with an AND to test 2 conditions. Their other option is to use an WHEN event with an OR to test 2 conditions.

The idea is that if a sailboat gets too close to the rocks, it crashes and burns.

Myself and my students are using 2.4.1  (with no updates available) on Windows machines.

The WHILE/AND event does NOT work for us. As soon as a key is pressed to move the sailboat, the program acts like the boat crashes. I tested the WHILE/AND program with 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 (pre 2.4.1) and it works OK with the older versions.

The WHEN/OR event works fine  in the current 2.4.1 version.

Any ideas?

Attached please find copies of both programs.

Thanks,

Mr. Deane Fistick
Electronic Classroom Of Tomorrow (ECOT)
HS Computer Programming Teacher