alice-teacher Random Movement problem

James Vanderhyde jvanderhyde at benedictine.edu
Wed Apr 2 13:14:51 EDT 2014

If you’re using Alice 2, I think it will be difficult to achieve exactly what the student wants. Because Alice 2 does not support polymorphism, it will be difficult to get much advantage from putting them in a list. You would only be able to use the built-in movement methods and functions.

I think it might be better to create a few different movement actions that by themselves do not look random, but when used by 10 different objects at the same time looks like chaos. I have had students do this. Your student wants order out of the chaos, which is more difficult, but I think it could be achieved this way. For example, one mouse can move forward 6, wait 1 second, move forward 3. Another mouse can move forward 7, wait 0.8 seconds, move forward 2. Then put all the moves in a do together block.

Alice 3 may have more capability, but I haven’t used it yet.

James
--
Dr. James Vanderhyde
Math and Computer Science

On Apr 1, 2014, at 12:05 PM, Eric Hillstrom <ehillstrom at durango.k12.co.us<mailto:ehillstrom at durango.k12.co.us>> wrote:

>From a student

Question:
I have taken a simple story with a medieval theme and am bringing it to life.
I want to have 10 mice move around in swarm/scurry fashion the world to make it look like they are protecting a castle.  How do I do this?  Should I make a list and somehow use a proximity function?  How do I make it look random in nature to simulate mice scurrying around?
--

Eric Hillstrom
Teacher, CTE/Technology