alice-teacher Two questions

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 26 08:50:23 EDT 2013

I am checking with our engineers for questions 1 and 3 (although I have some thoughts on 3)...

See below for my answers:
On Sep 25, 2013, at 2:27 PM, Matt Jadud <matt_jadud at berea.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> 1. "this.camera.place(RIGHT_OF, this.elderPerson)" does not do anything. There is a procedure for "place" that is available to camera objects, but it doesn't do anything for us. (3.1.80) Should it?
>
> 2. Is it preferable for me to ask these kinds of questions in the forums?

This is a good place to ask these questions… Chances you are not the only one with these questions….

> 3. Is it possible to do an instantaneous teleport of an object? Eg. to pop the camera from x1,y1,z1,rho1,theta1,phi1  to x2,y2,z2,rho2,theta2,phi2?

Other than scene setup, we do not provide access to the actual coordinates in the Alice system as part of the commands. To pop the camera, we recommend the setting of a camera marker at the desired location, and then using a Camera.moveTo with a duration of 0 seconds… In fact, any Alice command with a duration setting can be executed with a duration of time 0, or instantaneously...

> 4. Is there a class hierarchy published anywhere? In particular, my students wanted to write a procedure that could pan the camera from (say) a Prop to a Biped. Without knowing the class hierarchy, I'm not sure if there's a parent class that could be used to encompass both of these.

See this link, although it is not complete:

	http://www.alice.org/gallery3.1/

When specifying a type at variable or parameter declaration, choosing Other will give you other types higher up in the hierarchy. In your case you would want to choose SModel…

Later,
Don Slater