alice-teacher Alice 2 command line

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Sep 21 11:46:05 EDT 2013

Warning: This is an advanced topic and may be of limited interest to many members of the list… But it applies to the recent thread on double-clicking an Alice project file and having it launch Alice, as opposed to having to open Alice project files from within Alice...

<begin answer>

It is possible to launch Alice from the Terminal command line in OS X using:

	open -a <path to the directory containing the Alice app on your system>/Alice.app/Contents/MacOS/Alice

on my machine, where Alice 2.3 located in my system Applications directory, I can type:

	open -a /Applications/Alice.app/Contents/MacOS/Alice

Unfortunately, the open command does not take arguments, such as file names, to link the project file to the application…

There may be an alternative command that I have not yet found…

We will look into the double-click on an .a2w or .a3p to launch Alice issue…