alice-teacher How do I compare to paint colors in Alice 3?

Susan Rodger rodger at cs.duke.edu
Mon Nov 25 11:08:30 EST 2013

I am using Alice 3 and trying to write a function to count how many
chickens in my array of chickens have been painted a particular color, say
yellow. This is easy to do in Alice 2 as one can compare two colors
in an "if statement". How would I compare colors in an if statement in
Alice 3?

I have an if statement in my function and I have two parameters, an array of
type flyers called "chickens" and a variable of type paint called
colorOfChicken. I want to go through the array and compare the paint color
of each chicken to the parameter colorOfChicken.

I already painted some of the chickens yellow and now want to call my
function to count how many yellow chickens there are.

I cannot figure out how to compare two paint colors to see if they are the
same. Each chicken has a function getPaint.

I can figure out how to use an if statement that works with numbers and strings.

What type does getPaint return, a string or a number?  It doesn't seem
to be either. I tried converting
getPaint to a string but I can not drop in on top of the tostring function
and it is not a choice.

How does one compare paint colors in Alice 3?

Susan