alice-teacher Alice 2 "Unable to load world"

James Vanderhyde jvanderhyde at benedictine.edu
Fri Nov 15 11:52:48 EST 2013

I have a student project (Alice 2 world) that appears to have been corrupted. When I try to open the file, the Error dialog appears with the message "Unable to load world". The "more detail" includes a "NoSuchMethodException".

Is there a way to recover from this situation? I'm running OS X 10.8.5 with Alice 2.3.5. The student is running Windows with whatever version of Alice 2 was current in August.

I'm guessing something in the Alice world file is missing or corrupted. It seems like it should be possible to unzip the  .a2w file, remove the offending object, and rezip the file. Has anyone tried this? Is there a way to tell from the stack trace in Alice (or otherwise) what the offending object is?

James
--
Dr. James Vanderhyde
Math and Computer Science