alice-teacher Posted Alice 3.1

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 13 08:03:00 EST 2013

See the following link, which will offer some explanations, if not a real solution:

	http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginningtutorials/qt/html_dwnld_tag.htm

This paragraph from the above link offers some insight into what is going on...

> When you click on a link in a web page, your web browser automatically attempts to open that link in the browser window. And now, with various plugins and other features, browsers can open more and more files that they used to be forced to download. Most of the time, this is what we want—after all, we're building web pages. But sometimes you post files to your website that you want people to download to their hard drive rather than view in the browser window.

It seems that the format of .a3p is different enough from the .a2w files, so that browsers will attempt to open the .a3p, and they do not try to open the .a2w.

I do not believe that the “_blank” modifier to the target tag really has impact on whether the browser will attempt to download or open a file. See this link:

	http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_a_target.asp

“_blank” species that the file will be open in a new window, which is what we see going on with the .a3p files.

Your best bet for the .a3p files is to more prominently display instructions that users should right-click on the link and select to save the file to their machine (as recommended in the first link).

I hope that this helps…