alice-teacher Variable as counter in Alice 3

Keith Golebie kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us
Wed Nov 6 13:18:25 EST 2013

The Hour of Code is a massive campaign to introduce more than 10 million students to computer science by having them do an hour-long online tutorial during Computer Science Week, December 9th to the 15th.  It is designed to show how any educator can bring introductory computer science to their classroom. All ages welcome. No experience required. Computers are optional.

Here is a video that briefly explains the program.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfZrX5YDltU

The hour of code project is a week-long celebration organized to introduce more people to the idea of programming.  The educational value in this is that research shows that students who study programming show improved math scores. The earlier a student starts the better. There are schools and programs world- wide that are introducing students at all ages, some as young as 6 years old, to programming.  The educational buzz word is "Computational Thinking."

Additionally, they are beginning to discover that using programs like Alice are helping students with English, reading and vocabular.

The Hour of Code initiative has organized self-directed tutorials and programming activities that are designed for anyone to be able to follow, regardless of experience or expertise.  They are designed to be easy enough for anyone to follow, an instructor would not have to be a tech teacher to implement this.  The Hour of Code is targeting schools, businesses and families.

A computer isn't necessary for this.  The activities are designed to be completed on computers, tablets, or any other device that can access online content. Additionally, off-line activities are also provided, so that if technology or the internet isn't available, students could still participate.

See the email below form the sponsoring organization.

Thanks,
Keith

Mr. Golebie
kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us<mailto:kgolebie at ellwood.k12.pa.us>