alice-teacher contest submission unreadable

Sandy Graham sandyg at gvtc.com
Tue Mar 12 14:15:36 EDT 2013

I ended up with one student entering the contest Don advertised to us a
while back.  We are now at the stage where my student is evaluating the
other five submissions.  One of them has a .MSWMM extension.  When we watch
it through Movie Maker, we can only see the words at the beginning and the
end.  And we cannot open it in Alice.  I tried renaming the extension, but
it must have been converted to a different format (one the Movie Maker can
read) as Alice still won't open it.  It looks like it might be one of the
better submissions and that the boy might have put a lot of work into it, so
I hate that my student had to just give his program a 1 in all categories
explaining that he could not see the program.  Does anyone have any idea of
how we can view this program?

Don, I tried submitting something through the "contact us" option on the
C2SN site, but do you know a better way to contact someone?  I'm afraid the
student's teacher may be on spring break and won't see a request for
resubmission.  Then again, I suppose some might say that's just part of the
contest as he obviously did not follow the instructions regarding the format
of the file he submitted.  Still seems a hard lesson for a beginning
programmer to learn.

Your sister in Christ,

Sandy Graham